Tamarind prawn curry
This beautifully tangy seafood curry is a cinch to make. Prepare the curry base in advance, if you wish – simply cover and chill then reheat in a pan with the cooked prawns until piping hot.
Shop ingredients here.
- CourseMain meal
- Prepare10 mins
- Cook20 mins
- Total time30 mins
- 1 tbsp Essential Vegetable Oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 clove/s garlic, finely sliced
- 15g ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 400g can Essential Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Cooks' Ingredients Tamarind Paste (1 tbsp = 15ml)
- 150g Waitrose cooked Extra Large King Prawns
- 250g pouch cooked basmati rice, to serve
- ½ x 25g pack coriander, leaves, to serve (optional)
Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and a pinch of salt; fry for 6-8 minutes until soft.
Stir in the nigella seeds and garam masala; fry for 1 minute more. Add the tomatoes and simmer everything gently for 4-5 minutes.
Stir in the tamarind paste and cooked prawns, then heat for a final 2 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the rice according to pack instructions. Serve with the curry and coriander leaves, if liked.
Leftover tamarind paste: Use this time-saving paste to add a sweet and sour tang to dals, soups and stews. It’s also great in marinades for meat and fish.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe