Quick chickpea curry with coconut yogurt
An easy, one-pan creamy veggie curry that makes nutty, earthy chickpeas the star.
- CourseMain meal
- Prepare10 mins
- Cook25 mins
- Total time35 mins
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ x 28g pack coriander, leaves and stalks separated
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh root ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 2 tsp Cooks' Ingredients Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 3 tbsp dairy-free coconut milk yogurt alternative
- 2 x 500g packs microwaveable wholegrain rice (or 500g cooked rice of your choice)
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and fry the onion and cumin for 5-6 minutes until just turning golden. Finely chop the coriander stalks and add to the pan with the ginger, garlic, garam masala and a pinch of salt, and fry for another 2 minutes.
Add the tomato purée and fry for a further minute, then stir in the chickpeas and coat in the spices. Add the diced fresh tomatoes and 250ml water, cover the pan and turn down to simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer for a final 5 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in half the coconut milk yogurt alternative. Serve scattered with the coriander leaves, with the rice and coconut milk yogurt alternative alongside.
Like most curries, this will taste even better the next day, once the flavours have had time to mingle and mellow. So why not make a double batch of this recipe and chill or freeze some for another day? A squeeze of lemon juice will also help to bring out the flavour.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe