Miso tofu & aubergine
Miso, rice wine and vinegar combine with aubergines and tofu for a dish packed full of flavour.
- CourseMain meal
- Prepare15 mins
- Cook20 mins
- Total time35 mins
- 3 tbsp Essential Sunflower Oil
- 2 Essential Aubergines, trimmed and cut into 2-3cm chunks
- 300g pack Clearspring Organic Tofu
- 2 clove/s garlic
- 15g ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 Essential Salad Onions, finely sliced (greens and whites separated)
- Sliced red chilli and steamed rice, to serve (optional)
- 1½ tbsp Clearspring Organic Brown Rice Miso
- 1½ tbsp Cooks’ Ingredients Shaoxing Rice Wine
- 1½ tbsp reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp Cooks’ Ingredients Japanese Rice Vinegar
Heat 1½ tbsp oil in a large frying pan that has a lid over a medium-high heat. Add the aubergines and fry, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add 2 tbsp water to the pan, cover with the lid and steam for 5 minutes, stirring halfway. Tip onto a plate and set aside.
Pat the tofu dry with kitchen paper. In a small bowl, mix the miso sauce ingredients with 2 tbsp water. Add the remaining 1½ tbsp oil to the pan and fry the garlic, ginger and salad onion whites for 3-4 minutes until fragrant. Return the aubergines to the pan and fry for 2 minutes. Stir in the miso sauce and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Cut the tofu into 2cm cubes and stir gently into the pan, coating in the sauce and heating until piping hot throughout. Scatter with the salad onion greens and serve with steamed rice and sliced red chilli, if liked.
Typical values per not including optional ingredients when made using specific products in recipe