Zingy chicken & bean stew
Packed with protein and zesty flavour, this creamy, Mexican-inspired dish using precooked British chicken is one you’ll come back to again and again.
Shop the ingredients here
- CourseMain meal
- Prepare10 mins
- Cook15 mins
- Total time25 mins
- 2 tbsp Essential Olive Oil
- 2 Essential Onions, chopped
- 4 clove/s garlic, crushed
- 2 jalapeño chillies, 1 finely chopped, 1 sliced (both deseeded if liked)
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1½ tsp ground coriander
- Waitrose British Whole Roast Chicken (about 1kg)
- 400g can Essential Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
- 500ml pot or pouch fresh Cooks' Ingredients Chicken Stock
- 1 unwaxed lime, zest and juice
- 100ml Essential Soured Cream
- Coriander leaves, sliced avocado and corn tortilla chips, to serve (optional)
Heat the oil in a large sauté or frying pan over a medium-high heat. Fry the onions with a pinch of salt for 6-8 minutes until soft, then add the garlic, finely chopped chillies and the spices; fry for 2 minutes more. Meanwhile, shred the meat from the cooked chicken and discard the skin and bones (reserve the bones to make stock, if liked).
Stir the shredded chicken and cannellini beans into the pan, then add the stock and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Add the lime zest and juice, then take off the heat and stir in the soured cream.
Scatter with the sliced jalapeño chillies and serve with coriander leaves, sliced avocado and corn tortilla chips for dipping, if liked.
Leftover soured cream: this is lovely dolloped over spiced soups or stews to balance out the richness. It also adds a wonderful tanginess to bakes.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe