Spicy barbecued lamb with minty tomato & watermelon relish
A mezze-style meal worth getting the barbecue out for. Serve with tzatziki and some warmed pittas on the side.
- CourseMain meal
- Prepare25 mins
- Cook15 mins
- Total time40 mins
- PlusPreparation time 25 minutes + marinating
- ¼ tsp Cooks’ Ingredients Chipotle Chilli Flakes, or to taste
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes, or to taste
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 8 hand-cut lamb loin chops
For the relish
- 2 limes, juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp mild olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 25g pack mint, leaves only, finely chopped
- 25g pack coriander, finely chopped
- 300g pack No.1 Red Choice Tomatoes, halved, deseeded and finely chopped
- 125g pomegranate seeds
- 150g French breakfast radishes, thinly sliced
- 200g watermelon, finely chopped
Mix together the chipotle chilli, salt, garlic granules and cumin in a mixing bowl. Add the lamb, rub all over with clean hands to coat, then cover and chill for 30-60 minutes.
Preheat the barbecue (or a griddle pan or grill). Mix together all the relish ingredients and set aside.
Cook the lamb on the coolest part of the barbecue (or a medium temperature griddle/ grill) for 3-5 minutes each side for rare (or longer to your liking), ensuring the surface of the meat is thoroughly cooked. Stand the chops up on their edge for 2 minutes to cook and crisp the fat.
Rest the lamb for a few minutes, then serve with large spoonfuls of relish.
Before you start cooking on a charcoal barbecue, wait until the coals reach the ‘white ash’ stage, after all the flames have died down and the fire is less fierce. Depending on the size of the barbecue, this can take up to an hour. You can use lamb leg steaks instead of chops in this recipe, if you like; take the cook time down a little.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe