Roast carrots with lentils & wheatberries
This salad comes with a minty dressing that marries the caramelised carrots, lentils and herbs together very nicely. If you don’t need this recipe to be vegan, you can use Essential Feta.
- CourseMain meal
- Prepare15 mins
- Cook40 mins
- Total time55 mins
- 750g loose Essential Carrots
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 2 clove/s cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 small Essential Red Onions, thinly sliced
- 400g can Essential Lentils In Water, drained and rinsed
- 300g wheatberries, lentils & green vegetables, heated according to pack instructions
- ½ x 25g pack flat leaf parsley, chopped, plus extra to sprinkle
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 100g Violife Greek White Block
Preheat the oven to 220ºC, gas mark 7. Halve the carrots lengthways, or into quarters if large, and spread in a large roasting tin. Combine 2 tsp olive oil, the garlic, chilli flakes and a little salt in a small bowl, then spread over the carrots, shaking the pan to distribute the flavoured oil. Roast for 35-40 minutes, until just tender, turning halfway through.
Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan and gently fry the onions for 5 minutes, until softened. Stir in the lentils, wheatberry mixture and parsley. Heat thoroughly, until piping hot throughout. Stir in the vinegar and check the seasoning.
Spoon the lentil mixture onto plates, arrange the carrots on top and crumble the block on top. Serve with extra chopped parsley.
This recipe also works well with any other roasted vegetables. Try parsnips, celeriac, swede or beetroot. You might need to increase the roasting time slightly.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe