Gooey veg toasties
Packed with a kaleidoscope of colourful veggies, this is the ultimate plant-based toasted sandwich.
- Prepare20 mins
- Cook30 mins
- Total time50 mins
- 300g sweet potato (1 large), scrubbed clean and cut into 3mm slices
- 1½ tbsp Essential Olive Oil
- 1 large red onion, cut into 10 wedges
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, roughly chopped, plus 1 tbsp of the oil
- 80g cavolo nero, leaves roughly torn
- 2 tbsp vegan plant-based chilli or garlic mayo
- 4 slice/s No.1 Wheat & Rye Sourdough
- 2 tbsp vegan dairy-free spread
- 120g Violife Cheddarton, grated
Preheat the oven to 220ºC, gas mark 7. Toss the sweet potato slices with 1 tbsp oil and spread out over a large nonstick baking tray; roast for 5 minutes, then turn over. Toss the onion wedges with the remaining ½ tbsp oil and the vinegar, then add to the baking tray. Season and roast for a final 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, heat the 1 tbsp sun-dried tomato oil. Fry the tomatoes and cavolo nero for 4-5 minutes, stirring, until the greens have wilted. Tip into a bowl and wipe out the pan.
To assemble the sandwiches, spread the mayo on one side of each sourdough slice and the dairy-free spread on the other. On one slice, mayo side up, layer ½ the onion, sweet potato, cavolo nero and tomatoes; pile ½ the grated cheese alternative on top. Finish with another slice of sourdough (mayo facing down). Repeat to create two sandwiches.
Return the pan to a low heat. Put the sandwiches in the pan. Cover with a sheet of baking parchment and put a plate on top with a heavy pan or weight on it to weigh it down. Fry for 5 minutes, then turn the sandwiches and cook in the same way for another 5 minutes or until golden and gooey. Cut each in ½ and serve immediately.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe