Save to your scrapbook
Roast chicken with creamed leeks & Parmesan parsnips
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
1.5kg whole free range chicken
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
3 tsp Dijon mustard
25g pack chives, chopped
4 parsnips, quartered
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp Parmigiano Reggiano (Parmesan), grated
4 leeks, washed and sliced
200g tub Yeo Valley Organic Half Fat Crème Fraîche
1. Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark 6. Place the chicken in a large roasting tin.
2. Mix 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard with 2 tsp Dijon and half the chives. Loosen the skin over the chicken breast and spoon the mustard mixture under the skin smoothing the surface out. Roast for 1 hour.
3. Cook the parsnips in boiling water for 5 minutes, drain and toss in 1 tbsp oil and the Parmigiano Reggiano. Remove most of the excess juices from the chicken tin and arrange parsnips around the chicken. Roast for a further 30 minutes. (Loosely cover the chicken with foil if it looks too dark).
4. Mix the remaining wholegrain mustard and 1 tsp Dijon and brush over the whole chicken 10 minutes before the end of cooking.
5. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan and fry the leeks, covered for 5-6 minutes. Stir in the crème fraîche and remaining chives then season. Check the chicken is cooked through (with no pink meat) and serve with the parsnips.
Try roasting potatoes in Parmesan instead of the parsnips.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in February 2017.