Save to your scrapbook
Rich fruit mince pies recipe | Waitrose
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
You can also use a small shaped cutter, such as a star-shaped biscuit cutter for the pastry disc lids. Box some up as gifts for friends.
300g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
75g butter, well chilled and diced
75g white fat (or butter), well chilled and diced
410g jar Waitrose Mincemeat
2 tbsp milk
1 medium egg yolk
Caster sugar for sprinkling, or icing sugar
A pinch of cinnamon for dusting
1. Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl, then lightly rub in the butter and/or fat, until it looks like fine breadcrumbs. Sprinkle 2 tbsp cold water into the mixture, then mix with a round-bladed knife until a dough starts to form. Draw the mixture together with your hands until it makes a rough ball. If it is too dry, add a few drops of water, taking care not to make the dough wet and sticky. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface, until it is about 3mm thick. Cut out 12 pastry discs using a 8cm fluted cutter, then 12 small discs using a 6cm fluted cutter. Line a 12-hole bun tin with the larger discs.
3. Using a teaspoon, fill the lined tin with mincemeat. Dampen the edges of the small pastry discs on one side by brushing them with a little cold water. Gently press the small discs, damp side down, on top of the filled pastry bottoms and seal the edges.
4. Whisk the milk into the egg yolk to make a glaze. Brush this glaze on the top of each mince pie. Prick the lids with a fork to allow the steam to escape while cooking.
5. Place into the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool for 4-5 minutes in the tray before transferring to a wire rack. Serve warm sprinkled with caster sugar, or dustedwith icing sugar and a pinch of cinnamon.
Typical values per serving:
3.1g protein, 1.7g fibre
This recipe was first published in Mon Nov 25 10:00:00 GMT 2013.
Average user rating