Save to your scrapbook
Martha's vegan chocolate cake
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
For the sponge
350ml almond milk
2 tsp cider vinegar
250g caster sugar
150ml sunflower oil, plus extra to grease
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
225g plain flour
75g cocoa powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
For the icing
200g vegan dark chocolate, 70% cocoa maximum, chopped
75ml almond milk
50g coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
Fresh and freeze-dried raspberries, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4 and grease and line 3x18cm round tins with a circle of baking parchment and sunflower oil.
2. Pour the almond milk into a large jug and add the vinegar. Whisk to combine – you’ll notice the mixture thicken and curdle. Leave to stand
for 2 minutes, then stir in the caster sugar, oil and vanilla bean paste.
3. Sieve the flour and cocoa powder into a large mixing bowl and add the bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and gradually add the wet ingredients, whisking all the time until a smooth batter forms. Use the batter straight away once the ingredients have been combined to create the best rise in the oven.
4. Divide the mixture evenly between the cake tins and bake for 20-25 minutes or until risen and springy. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tins, then carefully turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely (the cakes are quite delicate so be gentle!).
5. To make the icing, place the chopped chocolate, almond milk, coconut oil and vanilla extract into a small saucepan. Heat very gently, stirring all the time until completely melted and smooth. Use a balloon whisk to agitate the mixture to help it emulsify, then transfer to a jug and set aside for 15 minutes before using.
6. When you are ready to assemble the cake, place the bottom layer of sponge onto a serving plate and spread with a few tablespoons of icing. Repeat the process with the next layer, finishing with the last layer of sponge. Spread the remaining icing onto the top of the cake and finish with a few fresh and freeze-dried raspberries on the top.
This cake will keep for 2-3 days when stored in an airtight container at
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Tue Jan 15 10:15:00 GMT 2019.