Save to your scrapbook
Heston's olive oil and raspberry cakes
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Something surprising and a little bit different. The gentle pepperiness of olive oil goes incredibly well with soft red fruits. Try the two together in these fresh, delicate, melt-in-the-mouth morsels. Heston
100g caster sugar
Peel of 3 lemons, blanched twice, pith removed and finely sliced
360g plain flour
1½ tsp baking powder
3g sea salt
Zest of 2 lemons, plus 1 tbsp juice
225g granulated sugar
4 large Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs
3 tbsp whole milk
110g unsalted butter melted and at room temperature
160g extra virgin olive oil
250g fresh raspberries
150g caster sugar
15g glucose syrup
2 large Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Egg whites
Freeze dried raspberries
1. To make the lemon syrup, place the sugar and 80g water into a pan and heat to 103˚C (using a sugar thermometer), add the blanched lemon and simmer until al dente. Strain and discard the peel.
2. Preheat oven to 180˚C, gas mark 4. Sift together the flour with the baking powder and salt into a bowl, and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer combine the lemon zest and the sugar, (so the sugar absorbs as much of the zest as possible). Then add the 4 whole eggs to the sugar and whisk on medium speed for about 3-4minutes.
3. With the mixer on its lowest speed, beat in the milk then the flour mix, lemon juice, melted butter and olive oil. Beat until blended.
4. Pipe half the batter into 12 loaf cases or rectangular moulds (approximately 8 x 3cm). Place the raspberries in the centre of the batter, 3 per mould. Cover with the rest of the batter. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, then cool.
5. Meanwhile, to make the meringue, place 30ml water, the caster sugar and glucose syrup in a pan and bring to the boil, skimming away any froth and brushing the pan with a wet brush to avoid sugar crystals.
6. Whisk the egg whites to a soft peak. When the sugar syrup reaches 115˚C, remove from heat and slowly add to the egg whites until fully incorporated. Continue to whisk until the bowl is cold to touch.
7. When the cakes are ready, take out and spread with a little lemon syrup. Allow to cool completely and using a piping bag, pipe the meringue in mounds on top. Sprinkle with the freeze dried raspberries.
Typical values per serving:
1.5g fibre 6.5g protein
This recipe was first published in Wed Apr 16 10:54:00 BST 2014.
Average user rating